Happy Easter, y’all!
THIS WEEK IN FATNESS…
- Ragen looks at the intersection of queerness and fatness as it relates to bullying.
- hlkolaya wants to talk about stress.
- Fat and the Ivy would like to say “fuck you” to a few things that you might find relevant!
- I saw this awesome photo of some fatties in the 1940s via hey, fat chick.
- Uhm, I want this outfit. And this hair.
- Red No. 3 weighs in on the “coming out of the closet” metaphor people can use when talking about liking fat women.
- Ragen brings to light the discriminatory hiring practices of Citizen’s Medical Center in Victoria, Texas and suggests that you let them know what you think about this.
- Curvy Canadian talks about a plus-size yoga class being offered at YogaZonePLUS. I’m putting this under ‘in action’ because it might be something others could look into making happen in their own areas?
…In the News
- Big Fat Blog highlights a study that suggests the Biggest Loser increases weight bias. People the world over fail to die of the shock that this result (doesn’t) cause.
- Over at Fierce Freethinking Fatties, Jen breaks down an article on MSNBC about “The Surprising New Face of Obesity.” April D also has something to say about this over at her blog.
…In the Spotlight
This week’s highlighted site is actually a specific page on Big Liberty, which provides a bunch of references to studies that debunk common misconceptions about being fat. So, I recommend that you check out Truth Behind Fat: References.
I want to add this section to the weekly round-up, because I think there’s a lot of really good stuff out there. Think of it like the ‘in the spotlight’ section though, ’cause it probably won’t be based on what’s posted during a particular week.
(I will try and work out why embedding doesn’t work for me for future posts, I swear )
Please, email us your links, suggestions and feedback!